Councilman David Yates (D-25) will be on hand for the unveiling of the newest Kentucky Historical Marker which tells the history of a road that is well travelled in Southwestern Louisville.
“St. Andrews Church Road is well known to those of us who live in the area but many may not know the reason why it was named in the first place,” says Yates. “We should always honor the history of the area and the people who came before us.”
Kentucky Historical marker #2551 will be located at Doss High School, 7601 St. Andrews Church Road. The marker will provide the history of St. Andrews Church Road as well as the Wiser family who owned much of the property in the area.
The text of the historical marker is:
ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH ROAD
Intersection with Dixie Hwy once had post office, hotel, and train
depot. Ella Murphy was depot agent for many years. Doss HS and
Trunnel Elem opened 1967. Thomas Harry Doss was Jefferson Co.
School Board Chairman. Bertha Trunnel was long-time educator.
Now called Pleasure Ridge Park, formerly known as Wisertown.
Sponsored by Wiser descendants
Area once known as Wisertown. Descendants and extended family
of John (1793-1877) and Luzanna Wiser (1804-1873) lived here,
including Gagels, Arnolds, and Webers. John came here 1817,
married Luzanna 1821, bought farm 1838. They built St. Andrew’s
Church and Cemetery then gave to Catholic Church. Wiser farm now
site of Doss HS and Trunnel Elem.
The unveiling ceremony will take place at Doss High School beginning at 4:00pm on Sunday, March 18th.