Mayor Greg Fischer and the Veterans Community Alliance of Louisville today announced the sixth annual Mayor’s Week of Valor — a series of events to honor and celebrate the contributions and sacrifices of active-duty military, veterans and their families.
Coinciding with Veterans Day, the 2019 Week of Valor will feature 27 educational, patriotic, community or civic events from Nov. 2 through Nov. 13. Residents are encouraged to participate and recognize, support and honor veterans.
Events include a 22 Push-Up Challenge on Nov. 2, a Women Veterans Town Hall on Nov. 7, and a Veterans Wellness Expo + Run/Walk on Nov. 9.
Also on Monday, Nov. 11, the city’s Veterans Day Parade will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in downtown Louisville this year on Jefferson Street, between Fourth and Seventh streets. The parade welcomes all military personnel and veterans, either in groups or as individuals, to participate. (There is no cost to enter; participants are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502-552-1131.)
“Our freedoms are here for us because of the service and sacrifice of our veterans,” Fischer said. “We’re asking residents from across the community to come out and show support during the Week of Valor to honor the people who’ve helped keep our country free.”
A full schedule of events is attached or can be found at http://louisvilleky.gov/weekofvalor.
2019 Week of Valor Events
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. — 22 Push-up Challenge. Waterfront Park, North Lawn, 129 River Road. Contact: Sarah Jemison at (502) 589-8600 or email@example.com.
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 3 p.m.-5 p.m — Veterans Appreciation Day at BeeHive Memory Care Home. 8800 Smyrna Pkwy. Contact: Bob DeVore Jr. at (502) 619-8877, (502) 966-6129 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, Nov. 4, 6 p.m.- 8 p.m. — 2019 Kentucky Veteran of the Year Banquet. The Jeffersonian, 10617 Taylorsville Road. Tickets are free but registration is required. Contact: Donald Bow at (502) 907-1536 or email@example.com. or visit www.kentuckyveteransoftheyear.org
- November 5-6, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Free Business Ownership Workshop. Fort Knox, Kentucky, Building 1378, Graham Hall. For eligibility information and to register visit https://sbavets.force.com/s/login/SelfRegister. Contact: Tommie Causey at (502) 582-5588, ext. 237 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. — Military Veteran Housing Certification (MVHC). Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, 295 North Hubbards Lane. The MVHC offered by the Veterans Association of Real Estate Professionals (VAREP), is designed for a comprehensive understanding of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Home Loan Guarantee Program. Contact: John Miller at (502) 779-0944 or email@example.com | https://www.varep.net/mvhc/index.php/about1 Thursday, Nov. 7, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. — Veterans Day Celebration. Engelhard Elementary, 1004 South First St. All veterans and service members are invited to celebrate in a schoolwide assembly and reception. RSVP at (502) 485-8246.
- Thursday, Nov. 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. — WWII Army Veterans’ Inaugural Art Exhibit. Robley Rex VA Medical Center, 800 Zorn Ave. This event showcases the artistic works of 94-year-old WWII Veteran Robert Enders and his collection of more than 100 pencil sketches. Contact: Judy Williams at (502) 287-5502 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday, Nov. 7 6 p.m.-9 p.m. — Dogs Helping Heroes, Be at Ease. Mellwood Arts Center, 1860 Mellwood Ave. $30 ticket must be purchased in advance. Contact: Adressa Collard at (812) 329-0244 or email@example.com.
- Thursday, Nov. 7, 6:30-8 p.m. — Women Veterans Town Hall. Bellarmine University, Centro Building, 2001 Newburg Road. The Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs will host a Women Veterans Town Hall with a women veterans’ panel. Contact: April Brown at 502-782-5735 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, Nov. 8, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. — Fall Clean-Up with the Volunteers of America Mid-State. Unity Home, 1321 S. Preston St. Contact: Michelle West at 502/815-2907 or email@example.com.
- Friday, Nov. 8, 8 p.m.-11 p.m. Kentucky Opera presents Glory Denied. The Brown Theatre, 315 W. Broadway. One of the most important new works of present-day opera follows the saga of Jim Thompson, America’s longest-held prisoner of war. For ticket information and show times, contact Aubrey Baker at (502) 584-7938 or firstname.lastname@example.org|http://www.kentuckycenter.org/all-shows/glory-denied
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. — Honor Flight Bluegrass, Humana Top-Flight Stair Climb. Humana Tower, 500 W. Main St. Individuals and teams may climb the 25 stories or participate as a relay team. There is no charge to sign-up; team members are encouraged/expected to donate to Honor Flight Bluegrass via its web site at http://honorflightbluegrass.org. Contact: Jeff Thoke at (502) 645-5421 or email@example.com
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m. Take the Hill 5K. Hogan Fountain, Cherokee Park. This race is inspired by the gallant efforts of our U.S. Armed Forces. All donations will be provided to The Order of the Purple Heart: For sign-up information and fees, contact Justin Edell at (504) 301-5673 or https://runsignup.com/Race/KY/Louisville/TaketheHill5K.
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 9 a.m.-11 a.m. — USA Cares March of Valor. Big Four Lawn at Waterfront Park. Walk, ruck or roll with your family, friends or unit as we raise awareness for veterans and military families struggling at home, and abroad. Minimum $5 donation to participate. Contact Cory Speicher at (270) 872-4422 or firstname.lastname@example.org|http://www.usacares.org
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. — Veterans Wellness Expo + Run/Walk. Robley Rex VA Medical Center, 800 Zorn Ave., Room E005 (inside West Entrance). Contact: Patricia Weiter at (502) 419- 4912. or email@example.com | http://www.louisville.va.gov/hpdp
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. — Rock Painting for Veterans. American Legion G.I. Joe Post #244, 3408 College Dr., Jeffersontown, KY 40299. Contact: Linette Hatfield at 502/500-7310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. — All Veterans Breakfast. Churchill Downs VFW Post 2921 at 2902 Seventh Street Road. Come and enjoy a breakfast for all veterans and military personnel. Free for Marine Corps veterans, $2 for all other veterans and $5 for non-veterans. Contact: John Wingfield at (502) 381-1612 or email@example.com.
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. — Clean Sweep Ruck. Kentucky Highway 10913 KY-1447. Assemble at the Adopt-A-Highway sign at the bottom of the ramp on Westport Road on the north side in front of the Bob Evans restaurant. Groups will ruck/walk one side of the road approximately two miles picking up trash and debris. Contact: Richard Rush at (812) 987-7874 or Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 11:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. — Churchill Downs Military and Veterans Appreciation Day at the Races. Churchill Downs, 700 Central Ave. General admission is free or discounted tickets for Millionaires Row with military ID. Contact: Patty Frazier at (502) 636-4400 or email@example.com.
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. — Meet the Therapy Horses at the Veteran’s Club. 375 Normandy Heights Road, Taylorsville, KY 40071. Veteran’s Club would like to welcome the public to meet the therapy horses used for their nationally recognized Equine Therapy Program. Contact: Jeremy Harrell at (502) 310-2303 or Louisville.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 2 p.m.-3 p.m. — Yoga with Team Red, White and Blue Louisville. Infinite Bliss Yoga, 1507 Bardstown Road. Team RWB Louisville is hosting a free beginner-friendly yoga class. Contact: Linette Hatfield at (502) 500-7310 or email@example.com.
- Sunday, Nov. 10, 4 p.m. — Veterans Day Observed with American Legion G.I. Joe Post #244. Jeffersontown Veterans Memorial Park, 10707 Taylorsville Road. The American Legion G.I. Joe Post #244 and the City of Jeffersontown will host veterans, active duty military and the general public for the 24th Annual Veterans Day Program at Veterans Plaza, Veterans Memorial Park. Contact John Wright at (502) 548-3143.
- Monday, Nov. 11, 11 a.m. — Veterans Day Observance Program with Churchill Downs VFW Post 2921. 2902 Seventh Street Rd. This program will celebrate and commemorate our military veterans and the sacrifices they made in the defense of this great nation. Contact: Past Post Commander John Wingfield at (502) 381-1612 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, Nov. 11, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. — 9th Annual Veterans Day Parade. Jefferson St., from Fourth to Seventh streets. Contact: Treva Brockman at (502) 552-1131 or email@example.com or visit www.louvetparade.com.
- Monday, Nov. 11, 1:30-3 p.m. — Veterans Day Salute. Kentucky Center for African American Heritage, 1701 West Muhammad Ali Blvd. This event honors the accomplishments of Colonel Charles Young including a tour of the new Colonel Charles Young Media Arts Center. Sponsored by The Kentucky Center for African American Heritage, the National Coalition for Black Veteran Organizations and National Association of Black Veterans. Waving the Flags activities continue through 6 p.m. Contact Region VI NABVET Commander Shedrick Jones at (502) 592-1475 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, Nov. 11, 12-2 p.m. — Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), Veterans Day In-Service. Edison Center, 701 West Ormsby Ave., Edison Room 1st Floor. This event will honor RSVP volunteers who are veterans and give information about VA benefits and services. Contact: Bill Clark at (502) 574-7305 or email@example.com
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, 6:30 p.m.-11 p.m. — Veterans Appreciation Basketball Game. Bellarmine University. Bellarmine military and veteran students and alumni are invited to attend a free pregame reception with food and drinks and cheer on the Knights as they face Kentucky Wesleyan University. To RSVP, contact: Lindsay Gargotto at (502) 272-7027 or firstname.lastname@example.org or RSVP at alumni.bellarmine.edu/veteran.